- English (5) (remove)
- Energy and centrality dependence of deuteron and proton production in Pb+Pb collisions at relativistic energies (2004)
- The transverse mass mt distributions for deuterons and protons are measured in Pb+Pb reactions near midrapidity and in the range 0<mt–m<1.0 (1.5) GeV/c2 for minimum bias collisions at 158A GeV and for central collisions at 40 and 80 A GeV beam energies. The rapidity density dn/dy, inverse slope parameter T and mean transverse mass <mt> derived from mt distributions as well as the coalescence parameter B2 are studied as a function of the incident energy and the collision centrality. The deuteron mt spectra are significantly harder than those of protons, especially in central collisions. The coalescence factor B2 shows three systematic trends. First, it decreases strongly with increasing centrality reflecting an enlargement of the deuteron coalescence volume in central Pb+Pb collisions. Second, it increases with mt. Finally, B2 shows an increase with decreasing incident beam energy even within the SPS energy range. The results are discussed and compared to the predictions of models that include the collective expansion of the source created in Pb+Pb collisions.
- Hadronic multiparticle production in extensive air showers and accelerator experiments (2005)
- Using CORSIKA for simulating extensive air showers, we study the relation between the shower characteristics and features of hadronic multiparticle production at low energies. We report about investigations of typical energies and phase space regions of secondary particles which are important for muon production in extensive air showers. Possibilities to measure relevant quantities of hadron production in existing and planned accelerator experiments are discussed.
- Xi- and Xi+ production in Pb + Pb collisions at 40 A GeV at CERN SPS (2003)
- First results on the production of Xi- and Anti-xi hyperons in Pb+Pb interactions at 40 A GeV are presented. The Anti-xi/Xi- ratio at midrapidity is studied as a function of collision centrality. The ratio shows no significant centrality dependence within statistical errors; it ranges from 0.07 to 0.15. The Anti-xi/Xi- ratio for central Pb+Pb collisions increases strongly with the collision energy.
- Hyperon production in Pb+Pb collisions at the CERN-SPS (2004)
- New results on the production of Xi and Omega hyperons in Pb+Pb interactions at 40 A GeV and Lambda at 30 A GeV are presented. Transverse mass spectra as well as rapidity spectra of these hyperons are shown and compared to previously measured data at different beam energies. The energy dependence of hyperon production (4Pi yields) is discussed. Additionally, the centrality dependence of Xi- production at 40 A GeV is presented.
- Evidence for an exotic S=-2, Q=-2 baryon resonance in proton-proton collisions at the CERN SPS (2004)
- Results of resonance searches in the Xi - pi -, Xi - pi +, Xi -bar+ pi -, and Xi -bar+ pi + invariant mass spectra in proton-proton collisions at sqrt[s]=17.2 GeV are presented. Evidence is shown for the existence of a narrow Xi - pi - baryon resonance with mass of 1.862±0.002 GeV/c2 and width below the detector resolution of about 0.018 GeV/c2. The significance is estimated to be above 4.2 sigma . This state is a candidate for the hypothetical exotic Xi --3/2 baryon with S=-2, I=3 / 2, and a quark content of (dsdsu-bar). At the same mass, a peak is observed in the Xi - pi + spectrum which is a candidate for the Xi 03/2 member of this isospin quartet with a quark content of (dsusd-bar). The corresponding antibaryon spectra also show enhancements at the same invariant mass.