Year of publication
- 1972 (3) (remove)
- Excitation of Rotational Bands in 40Ca Observed in the Reaction 36Ar(16O, 12C) (1972)
- Levels strongly populated in the reaction 36Ar(16O, 12C)40Ca are compared with predictions for the lowest (oblate) 4p-4h rotational band in 40Ca.
- Anomalous Backward alpha Scattering (1972)
- The elastic alpha scattering to backward angles has been studied for 40,42,44,48Ca between 40.7 and 72.3 MeV. The cross sections for 40Ca are larger than those for the higher isotopes up to the highest energies. They show backward increases that disappear above 50 MeV. The enhancement factor for 40Ca over 42,44Ca varies smoothly with energy. 48Ca does also show a backward cross-section enhancement over 42,44Ca. alpha -cluster rotational bands in the 44Ti compound state, four-nucleon correlations in 40Ca, and the l-dependent optical model are discussed as approaches to understand the anomaly. The rotator model appears to agree qualitatively with the experimental data. It involves rotational bands extending at least up to J=16 in 44Ti.
- Shell-Structure Effect on Elastic alpha Scattering (1972)
- Back-angle enhancements of elastic alpha -scattering cross sections have been observed for nuclei at the ends of the 1p, 2s-1d, and f7 / 2 shells. Strong reduction of this enhancement occurs if excess neutrons enter the next open major shell. The results are discussed in terms of intermediate alpha structure.